Proper tooth brushing techniques and regular flossing are the most popular ways to keep your teeth healthy. Most people also know that visiting the dentist is vital in catching tooth decay or cavities early. However, when you browse around this site, you will find out that there are many other dental care tips that work very well in maintaining top oral health.
- Vitamin C helps teeth remain strong, so to avoid tooth decay you should include oranges, lemons and other citrus fruits in your daily diet. However, because they are also acidic, sucking on them might actually have the opposite effect.
- Opt for an electric toothbrush. These are much better at cleaning your teeth than just doing it manually, and some new models will even coach you on what to do during brushing to keep your mouth and teeth healthy.
- Avoid chewing ice because doing so will cause some cracks in your teeth. These will then allow bacteria to enter and lead to cavities and other deterioration of the teeth. You should also watch out when eating nuts or popcorn, as these may also cause damage. If you suspect that you have a cracked tooth, make an appointment with your dentist as soon as possible to close it.
- Clean your teeth after eating food that is sticky like caramel or taffy. They can stick to the teeth’s surface and cause a lot of damage. To remove this, you should brush thoroughly as quickly as possible. At best, reduce your consumption of these types of foods.
- Eat sweets after a meal. Interestingly, whenyou eat a certain type of food can influence whether you develop tooth decay or not. When you eat cake alone and not with any meals, the risk is higher. So at best, eat your meal and then have cake as dessert.
- Get an egg timer to monitor your tooth brushing. You should take at least 2 or 3 minutes for this task, and having a timer is important in cleaning it thoroughly.
- Watch out for teeth-staining activities. Drinking red wine, coffee, or black tea, as well as smoking, will color your teeth. The same can happen when you drink cola or dark juice. In short, anything dark can damage the color of your teeth. If you cannot avoid it, just make sure you brush your teeth. Gargling can also reduce the staining and keep your teeth white and healthy. If you want something that can clean your teeth, have an apple.
- Use a tongue scraper in order to keep breath fresh and free from plaque. Many people forget this step and not understand why they had bad breath.
- Eat foods that clean teeth at the same time. Other than apples, raw carrots and celery are great for this purpose. At best, eat them at the end of the meal so that you would not need to brush your teeth anymore after the meal.
- Gargle with apple cider vinegar in the morning before brushing teeth. This will remove the stains and keep teeth white. At the same time, it will kill the bacteria in your gums and mouth.
- To make your tooth brushing as effective as possible, you should do it immediately after getting out of bed and just before you go to sleep at night. These are the most important times because there is less saliva in the night. Saliva is important in removing plaque that leads to cavities, so cleaning your teeth just before you go to bed will reduce the plaque in your teeth. At the same time, doing it immediately after waking up, you can remove any plaque or bacteria that have built up during the night.
These oral care tips are good to add to your existing oral habits in order to better take care of your teeth. After all, you may not always have access to your toothbrush or dental floss, so for example, eating tooth-healthy or teeth-cleaning foods can help. Most of all, these are cheaper ways to take care of teeth than paying for dental treatments. Lastly, by following these steps, you can ensure that you will keep your teeth healthy and white, your breath fresh and your whole mouth bacteria-free.